So what is gluten?
Gluten is glue!
Its the sticky stuff that binds food together, every wondered why your white bread was so squishy and spongy, that will be the gluten.
Gluten isn’t just one thing, its name given to the proteins found in wheat, barley, rye. These “glutens” can be found in just about anything nowadays.
Hence why a gluten free diet can be so restrictive.
Where is it found?
You’ll be surprised just where these naughty ingredients can creep in.
Here are a few examples, some you might not expect:
- Sausages, burgers, chicken nuggets (meat, vegan and vegetarian)
- Mini Cheddars and other crisps
- Pastry (savoury and sweet)
- Strawberry laces and other jelly sweets
- Soy sauce and other sauces
- Brown Sauce
- Coco pops and other cereals
- Cooking sauces
- Certain medications
- Some crackers
- Some liquors like Rye whiskey
May of theses non-gluten free options are now available as gluten free thankfully, so you can still have your coco pops folks!